Friday, June 10, 2011

Week One, Year Two

Hello from my desk in New York City!

It is the fifth day of my summer internship and after a filled week, I figured a blog update was very overdue. I was surprised that my nerves and anxiety about my internship peaked about a week before it started; ultimately, the night before I really did not even feel nervous about the next day. It was a great feeling to be welcomed back into the office, hugging coworkers after a long year away and updating them all on life at school, Prague and New York. While there are other interns in my office, I am the only one in my department (and, as far as I know, the only intern returning to their same position). Last year, I felt that I contributed to my department, but only upon return have I realized that they really valued my efforts and opinions. A lot depends on the success of this summer and the progress that I make as an intern - my bosses have already granted me more independence, suggested speaking with HR about my future with the company, and are planning bigger projects for me in the upcoming weeks.

While everyone might not be able to do a second year as an intern with the same company, it is possible to maintain relationships over email or the phone. Especially for those who are entering their senior year, it is vital to network at every opportunity. This summer's internship happened only because I took the intiative to email my former boss about the potential of a second year. If I had relied on blindly applying to companies, I most likely would not have found such a great fit in the field that I want to work in in the future. It may seem scary at first to email a former coworker or boss after a few months, but I believe that after a good internship experience they want to help you succeed in any way that they can. Keeping up with communication and expressing interest in their field (and company) shows dedication and maturity. This does not mean to fill their inboxes with your resume and send "Happy Monday!" flowers every week - show some restraint. Initially, I sent my boss a friendly "Hello" email, asked her about the company and did not really introduce the possibility of interning there again until the second email. Over the course of the past two years where I have dealt with the "real world" through internships, I think my biggest lesson is always to be proactive, but never expect anything to come from your efforts. It does take time to build a relationship with coworkers and sometimes it can be uncomfortable to ask for favors. However, the rewards can be huge and it is worth it to connect with them on a variety of levels. Even by introducing some of your hobbies or a glimpse into your outside-of-work personality can help forge a better connection. Just remember - a glowing recommendation probably will not come from sharing weekend tales of tequila shots and showing up hungover on a Tuesday. Keep it relatively PG as an intern.

Networking does help and it really can land you a job or internship. Start a conversation with your coworker and you might be surprised where it can lead you. Good luck!

Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment