Monday, May 23, 2011

Interning After a Semester Abroad

As some of you know, I am currently packing up my souvenirs, clothing and memories from a semester abroad in Prague before I return to the United States tomorrow. While I could describe the contents of my bags, which include a beer mug from a soccer game in Berlin or VIP wristbands from Wednesday nights at Mecca, I would argue that some of the most important things I am bringing home are the new insights into myself and my own abilities. There is a wide range of experiences on any given student's study abroad semester: incredible weekend trips, thought-provoking museums, fun nightlife and classmates from all over the world, just to name a few. I will always have the memories when I think about my unbelievable semester; many of these experiences were new to me and taught me valuable lessons in unexpected ways. As I begin the process of returning home to the United States, moving back to New York City and starting my internship, I wanted to look at how I have grown over the past semester and how it will help me become a better intern/employee. 


One of the hardest aspects of studying abroad for me was pushing myself to explore my home base of Prague. The exhaustion after cramming an entire city into a weekend trip, attending classes, keeping up with errands and maintaining my own sanity by being with friends resulted in a relatively set routine during the school week. Many weeks I only spent Monday through Thursday in Prague and I used those four days as a time for rest and relaxation. At some point during the semester, however, I realized that there was still so much to explore in the city that was left unmentioned in my city tour and guide book. I had to be proactive and fight the urge to be content with missing out on new experiences. I want to push myself once again and apply this mentality at my internship this summer. The marketing department where I intern works closely with the sales and art departments, but I am unfamiliar with these two areas. If it is possible, I want to learn more about how the departments work together and get a little experience in each one. In order for that to be realized, I need to be proactive and ask if that can happen. Just like I had to rely on my own motivation to get out and explore Prague, I will have to do the same at work.


In all honesty, there are times when I can be very stubborn. It is extremely hard for me to admit that I am wrong and ask someone for help. For example, instead of asking for better directions in Krakow when we were lost, my group and I continued to walk in the wrong direction for approximately thirty minutes until someone stepped into a convenience store for a clarification. I know that I have reiterated how important it is to ask for help and seek advice from your bosses, but they serve as reminders for how important this ability is in an intern. However, I definitely did not ask for help as much as I could have last summer; I executed some assignments through trial and error under the directions of my boss. This semester there were times that I learned that not asking for directions was occasionally more beneficial to my personal growth. It might have taken a little longer to walk home to my hostel in Paris when I began the journey in the opposite direction, but I relied on previous experience (knowing that the Seine had to be on our right), external cues (we had to pass the Louvre at some point) and basic instinct ("I think we go this way...") to make it back to our hostel safely and somewhat efficiently. Even though it might not have been the most direct route, we still arrived at our final destination. As a second year intern, I will be expected to perform bigger and more unfamiliar tasks. It will be important to balance asking questions and relying on my own abilities in order to complete my assignments. I still believe in "when in doubt, ask," but don't be afraid to try out some of your new skills.


Have you had any experiences that left you with unexpected applications? 


Rebecca

1 comment:

  1. When I first got my license, I didn't have a GPS. I was also afraid to drive on highways. The school I attended was a short, ten minute drive on the highway, but instead, I opted to take the 30 minute scenic route to avoid going 60 mph (oh, how times have changed!). The first time I attempted to drive home, I made a wrong turn and ended up in the ghetto (actually). Oops. This was just the first of many "adventures" on which I went. On the upside, I now know my way around Westchester County's side roads like a pro!

    ReplyDelete